Best known for its sweet, woodsy scent eucalyptus essential oil is also said to have numerous health benefits, from banishing brain fog to purifying the air in your home. Eucalyptus essential oil is also one of the best oils to help boost your immune system, while also protecting you from a variety of respiratory conditions. Eucalyptus essential oil is one of the best oils for sore throats, coughs, seasonal allergies and headaches.
Where Does Eucalyptus Oil Come From?
Eucalyptus essential oil is made from the oval shaped leaves of the tree specie. The eucalyptus tree belongs to the plant family Myrtaceae, which is native to Australia, Tasmania and nearby islands. There are over 500 different eucalypti species. The Eucalyptus salicifolia and Eucalyptus globulus are used for their medicinal properties. Manufacturers extract oil from eucalyptus leaves by drying, crushing, and distilling them
Interesting side note: the bark of the eucalyptus tree is used for papermaking and the wood is sued in Australia for fuel and timber.
Top 7 Eucalyptus Oil Benefits
Helps Improve Respiratory Issues: Respiratory conditions such as asthma and sinusitis may be helped by topically apply or diffusing eucalyptus essential oil. The oil reacts with mucous, not only reducing mucus but helping loosen it so that you can cough it up.
- Relieves Cough: For many years, eucalyptus oil has been used to relieve coughing. Today, some over-the-counter cough medications have eucalyptus oil as one of their active ingredients. Vicks VapoRub, for example, contains about 1.2 percent eucalyptus oil along with other cough suppressant ingredients. The popular rub is applied to the chest and throat to relieve cough symptoms from the common cold or flu.
- Improves Seasonal Allergies and Discomfort: Eucalyptus essential oil contains citronellal, which has analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties. Eucalyptus can open up the lungs and sinuses, improving circulation and reducing allergy symptoms. Studies have also shown eucalyptus essential oil produces a cold sensation in the nose that helps improve airflow.
- Boosts Mental Clarity: Eucalyptusessential oil not only uplifts one's mood but, because of its soothing and purifying properties it can also improve mental clarity and focus while boosting your energy. It helps clear airways to bring more oxygen into your system to relieve mental
- Alleviates Head tension: If your head tension are caused by sinus issues, eucalyptus essential oils can become your new best friend. This oil will open up the nasal passages, clear the sinuses, and help relieve sinus tension that causes the headaches. One 1994 study also found that a combination of peppermint oil, eucalyptus oil, and ethanol provided relaxing effects to both the muscles and the mind, which could help soothe head tension.
- Cold Sores: Many over-the-counter products for cold sores have eucalyptus as a primary ingredient because it soothes symptoms and speeds healing time. Eucalyptus essential oil is an easy and effective way to get symptomatic cold sore relief.
- Repels Rats: Eucalyptus oil can help you get rid of rats, naturally? This made seem like an odd use for eucalyptus oil – but in 2014 a study published by The Scientific World Journal suggested that eucalyptus can be used in protecting an area from house rats.
Eucalyptus Oil Uses
Cough Relief: add 1 drop Eucalyptus essential oil to 4 drops carrier oil (such as fractionated coconut oil). Rub over chest.
Sore Throat: Apply 2-3 drops of eucalyptus oil to your chest and throat, or diffuse 5 drops in a diffuser.
Immune Boosting Blend: Combine eucalyptus, clove, orange, cinnamon and rosemary essential oils. Roll on the bottoms of feet daily. You can also diffuse 5 drops of the blend in a diffuser.
Headache and Migraines: Apply diluted eucalyptus to the forehead, temples and back of neck.
Repel Rats: Add 20 drops eucalyptus oil to a spray bottle filled with water. Spray areas that are prone to rats, such as small openings in your home or near your pantry.
Eucalyptus Inhaler for Allergies: 5 drops eucalyptus, 7 drops cedarwood, 3 drops orange oil. Combine oils and apply to an essential oil inhaler or diffuse.