Millions of people suffer from allergies every year. An allergy is the immune system's abnormal response to contact with a specific substance. This substance is called an allergen and the allergic reaction is also known as a histamine reaction. There are many allergens in our environment, including food, grass, pollen, mold spores, insect bites, fabrics and much more. Allergy symptoms vary from person to person but can often include swelling, itching, runny nose, watery eyes, sneezing, and difficulty breathing. Since more than 40 million people in the United States suffer from various allergies, it's important to have treatment options readily available. If you are looking for an all-natural alternative to popular medications, you've come to the right place.
The olfactory nerve is one of your 12 cranial nerves arising directly out of the brain. When you stimulate the olfactory nerve, it feeds back directly into the brain. Different essential oils will differ as to what area of the brain is stimulated. The oil must be smelled for five minutes to stimulate the olfactory nerve. Then it takes 15 minutes for the effect to occur in the brain.
Essential oils may be used as an alternative or complementary treatment for allergy symptoms. Essential oils are derived from plants and can be used in a variety of ways. Here are three of our favorite essential oils for quicky allergy support. The simple pure plant essence of lavender, lemon and peppermint essential oil used together have the ability to step in and cool down body inflammation resulting from the body's allergic response.
- Lavender- Although used for a variety of conditions relating to sleep and relaxation, lavender has also been shown to inhibit allergic reactions. This can useful for any allergen that causes an immediate reaction, such as swelling and itching. Dr. Fratellone finds this essential oil particularly useful for children who need urgent relief from their allergy symptoms.
- Lemon - Essential Oil works as a natural antihistamine relieving excess mucous and cools down inflammatory reaction. It also helps with respiratory conditions. Lemon is also known for its anti-bacterial properties. Its best used in a blend with Lavender and Peppermint.
- Peppermint- Another herb from the mint family, peppermint can be applied directly to the skin or first diluted with a carrier oil such as jojoba or coconut oil. You can also vaporize peppermint to treat a reaction to pollen, trees, or grasses during the height of allergy season. The L-methol from peppermint inhibits the production of inflammation mediators in the body.
Antihistamine Roller Bottle Blend
In a 10ml Roller bottle mix 50/50 essential oil to carrier oil. 50% should be the lavender/lemon/peppermint blend. So for example use this recipe below. We suggest rolling it on the bottoms of your feet 2x day and under your nose daily or as needed.
- 50 drops carrier oil (ex fractionated coconut oil)
- 17 drops lemon essential oil
- 17 drops lavender essential oil
- 17 drops peppermint essential oil
For high quality roller bottles check out our favorite roller bottles available HERE.